Saturday, May 14, 2011

Has This Ever Happened to You?

So, one weekend, my friend and her husband and my husband and I went out to eat at our favorite Thai Restuarant.  My friend and her husband were standing on the sidewalk chatting in happy anticipation of the meal ahead, our mouths watering.  My husband was parking the car.  My friend is about 5"10" and I am a very tall 5'1".  I wear hijab, as you may have noticed by now, and my friend does not.  Anywho, we were standing there, happily chatting away, when a short man approached us as he slowly stolled down the sidewalk.  He was walking obliviously, until he saw me. Now, I am used to people looking curiously at me, since I do wear the hijab, so I expect it here and there. But this man didn't just look.  He stopped dead in his tracks, turned to face me and stared at me, eyes wide and mouth agape.  From the looks of his facial expression, one would think he had just laid eyes upon an alien!


Now, I am sure I do not bear any resemblence to an alien, so I was quite surprised by this stranger's look of perplexion.  For a few seconds, I just stared back, not sure what to say.  Then, my friend, ever caring and protective natured person that she is, stood in front of me, blocking the stranger's view of me, her back facing him.  The stranger then turned and stolled down the block in the same slow gait that he had approached us with. It was a bizarre incident, to say the least.  I look back and actually find it to be a little humorous.  I did not take offense by this man's absolute astonishment at my appearance, but rather found amusement in it.

What would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment